Inline with the National Curriculum our curriculum aims to to ensure that all children are able to :
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate
At Torridon, our English curriculum is broad and balanced. In addition, we aim to make every lesson inspiring and engaging for all children. We ensure that there is ‘challenge for all’ and we meet the needs of all children.
We promote reading for pleasure by ensuring that class book corners are appealing and inviting. Children also regularly read on Accelerated Reader, where they can choose an e-book of their own choice and level, which they can then read at their own pace.
Children also regularly visit the Torridon Reading Room, where they have access to many high-quality books of different genres.
We encourage children to read with a grown-up every night. Children who read with their families grow in confidence much more quickly and develop a love of reading that can last a lifetime. This is one of the most powerful ways of enabling children to progress in all areas of their learning.